Sparkled Beauty

I Live to Shine

2/15/2016

Drybar hair care

Posted by Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty

Drybar is a higher end hair care brand that is parabens/ sulfates/ phthalates free and safe for color-treated hair. I was lucky to receive a few things to try out.

I have had my virgin hair for so long, only started having it dyed 2 years ago. Looking for hair products that are not stripping off my colour has becomes important.

Glad to see that the Sake Bomb shampoo and conditioner keep that promise.

Ideal for dry hair (which I have) and/or medium-to-coarse hair (which I don't have), they are gentle and make my hair feel soft and nourished. The conditioner also helps detangle the hair, which I appreciate.

The pearlescent look of the products feels luxurious, a nice plus. And the scent is standard for most Drybar products, slightly floral.

The packaging on the other hand is not standard, resembles a drink bottle, with a metal cap and plastic flip top, which I find funny. Space saving too.

Ingredients:
- Shampoo: Water, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Cocamide MEA, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Acrylates Crosspolymer-4, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Amodimethicone, etc.
- Conditioner: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Hydrogenated Ethylhexyl Olivate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Jojoba Esters, Silicone Quaternium-22, Cetrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, etc.

I would say if you need a luxurious product for your hair, go for the conditioner (or both if you have the budget). The bottles are 8.5oz, 250ml, $30 each at Sephora.

Now the Le Sherif firm hold hairspray is a different story, just because my hair has been naturally straight and I don't style it often. Then I had some curls put on a few months ago, and keeping them is a struggle after every wash.

When I manage to get the curls to behave in the morning, this hair spray is a must. That firm hold is certainly appreciated, and it keeps the frizz and stray hair at bay, with a bit of shine too.

The brand also suggests to spray directly onto the hands and finger comb through the hair, which I prefer. It does not feel too crispy on the hair but I have to remind myself to brush out the curls before it dries and I can't run my finger through after that :)

The nozzle gives off a strong spray and has not been clogged on me thus far.

Ingredients: lcohol Denat., Hydrofluorocarbon 152a, Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Fragrance, Acetyl Triethyl Citrate, Glycerin, Octyldodecyl Ricinoleate, Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, etc.

The can is 7.5oz/ 215g, $34.

Running the same story as the hair spray, Hot Toddy Heat & UV protectant has also come very handy now that I need help to maintain those curls and the colour.

Interestingly, it is a lotion instead of a spray like most heat protectant products. With a polymer complex, it is supposed to protect hair from heat up to 450 degrees, help prevent damage and breakage, and UVA and UVB exposure that can fade color and dry out the hair.

The artichoke leaf extract in the formula is to help protect the hair cuticle and maintain hydration. The Marrakesh Woods scent is with notes of sandalwood, jasmine and vanilla, sounds good right?

Of course for a lotion texture, there is to be a flip top.

Instructions: work a small dollop through damp hair from roots to ends before blow-drying. Use lightly on fine hair. And I did.

It certainly not this Hot Toddy alone but the whole routine with Drybar has kept my hair colour and curls going strong. I just need to get better at maintaining it, in general.

Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propanediol, Polyquaternium-28, Phenyl Trimethicone, Sodium Polyacrylate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, Octocrylene, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, etc.

The tube is 3.4oz/100ml, $38.

I have been using Batiste and COLAB and am happy with them, but this Detox dry shampoo for brunettes sparks some new interests.

Instructions: Shake well, spray on dirty/ oily hair at the roots (2-3 inches away), allow to dry for a few seconds then gently rub in with fingers. Can also be used to lift tired/ flat roots.

So basically, Detox does what a dry shampoo does - absorb oils (and odour), provide volume and the fresh and clean feeling without being heavy or greasy but it goes on more like a (dark) wet hairspray at first, then dries down to more of a powder finish so I do need to give it time to do that before rubbing it in. Note to self only spray it on the roots and not on the scalp where the hair parts, or I would end up with visible black hair line :)

Similar nozzle as in the hair spray above.

Ingredients: Isobutane, Propane, Dimethylimidazolidinone Rice Starch, Alcohol Denat., Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Fragrance, Isopropyl Myristate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Water, Vp/Va Copolymer, Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), etc.

The only thing I am sad about is the size (3.5oz/ 100g) vs. the price ($29), I want it lasts forever :) Detox is also available in the small size - 1.4oz, $16.

The must have in the bunch for me is Hot Toddy. Protection is key! Depending on your hair needs, I would suggest you try a sample to see how any of these products works for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment