Sparkled Beauty

I Live to Shine

8/29/2012

La Roche-Posay skin and sun care

Posted by Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty

It has been a delight to see La Roche-Posay being more media active lately, as the brand deserves proper recognition, in my opinion. I was lucky to be offered some new products to test out.

I kinda jumped when I heard about Mela-D Pigment Control Concentrated Dark-spot Correcting serum, it was right up my alley.

The claim: After 2 weeks, dark spots are visibly reduced. Over the period of 8 weeks, appearance of size and colour intensity of dark spots are significantly reduced. Skin complexion is more uniform and skin is more radiant.

What it has:
- 2% Kojic Acid: reduces dark spots and skin discoloration
- Lipo Hydroxy Acid (LHA) and Glycolic Acid: help shed dark cells from the skin surface, increase radiance
- Thermal Dermobiotic: calms the skin.

A few warnings:
- Avoid eye area and direct contact with eyes, lips and nostrils. Use maximum once a day (recommended at night, after cleansing)
- AHA may increase skin sensitivity toward the sun and sunburn. Suggest a UVA/ UVB sunscreen of SPF15 or higher, and reapply when necessary
- Do not use at the same time (or within 24 hours) of using other exfoliating products, dermabrasion or treatments containing retinoic acid, phenol or salicylic acid
- Do not use the product if you have undergone a tanning treatment within the past 7 days.

Ingredients: Water, Alcohol Denat, Glycolic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Potassium Hydroxide, Kojic Acid, Ammonium Polyacryldimethyltauramide, Ammonium Polyacryloyldimethyltaurate, C12-13 Alkyl Lactate, Disodium Edta, Hydroxyethycellucose, Capryloyl Salicylic Acid, Vitreoscilla Ferment.

The serum is a clear liquid, comes in a glass bottle with a dropper. It is suggested the amount of one full dropper each time but I actually only need half of it. I follow the warnings closely, though it was not easy not to use the Clarisonic, scrubs or my acne spot treatment.

The result: the dark spots on my cheeks (left behind by old acne) are getting lighter. Not an overnight sight, mind you, but it is gradually noticeable. The long term effects (8 weeks, I'm not there yet) are still to be determined, but I have something to hope for and work toward.

The serum is Hydroquinone/ fragrance/ paraben free. Full size is 1oz/ 30ml, retails $55.

Next is the Effaclar Mat Daily moisturizer for oily skin, anti-shine, anti-enlarged pores. With its sebulyse technology + micro-exfoliating LHA, it is to reduce sebum production and restore balance in oily areas, moisturize the skin. Suitable for sensitive skin.

Suggested use: Daily, morning and/or night for the whole face. Excellent makeup base.

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Isocetyl Stearate, Alcohol Denat, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Acrylamide/ Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, PEG-100 Stearate, Cocamide Mea, Sarcosine, Glyceryl Stearate, Triethanolamine, Isohexadecane, Perlite, etc.

I love multi purpose products. The moisturizer has replaced my regular primer/ mattifier every morning now. I'm already worried I'd run out of it soon lol.

The result: My face literally stays matte the whole day until I remove my makeup at night. No blotting needed, period. I rotate my foundation during the testing period, and they all hold on well.

The moisturizer is non comedogenic and paraben free. The bottle is 1.35oz/ 40ml, retails $30.

The next product comes really handy pairing with the two products above (remember the warning about the need of a sunscreen with the serum?) - Anthelios with Mexoryl Ultra-fluid lotion, SPF60 Broad Spectrum UVA/ UVB protection for Face.

Suggested for daily use (shake well before use), excellent makeup base. Quick absorbing, matte finish. Ultra light, suitable for oily skin. Exactly how I feel about this sunscreen. No glamourized claims here.

It comes out of the bottle as a white liquid (not lotion), but turns to a powder finish as soon as it hits the skin. I have never seen any sunscreen like this. There is no wait time between it and the moisturizer, as it dries instantly. And SPF60 is a great level of protection. Love and totally recommend it!

Active ingredients: Homosalate 10%, Oxybenzone 6%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 5%, Avobenzone 3%, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid (Mexoryl) 2%.

The sunscreen is non comedogenic, fragrance/ paraben free, water resistant. It is 50ml, retails $26.

And lastly, the icing on the cake after a long day out in the sun: Posthelios Hydrating After-sun Melt-in gel. Doesn't it sound wonderful already?

The formula is enriched with lipid-restoring agents to soothe dry skin under stress from sun exposure. The skin will feel moisturized, rehydrated, nourished with moisture. Suggested use: Massage in lightly after a bath or shower.

Ingredients: Water, Butyrospermum Parkii/ Shea Butter, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Octyldodecanol,  PEG-30 Stearate,  Glyceryl Stearate, Niacinamide, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Acetate, Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, etc.

Don't know if I need to say anything else about this gel other than it does a wonderful job as its name suggests. It calms my skin right down, and has replaced my bath oil after shower for days that I am outside a lot.

The gel is paraben free, nickle levels guaranteed lower than the threshold for allergic reactions in sensitized subjects. Good size (200ml), retail price $26.

I am very happy to find another successful skin care routine that target my skin concerns. If you are tired of reading my ramblings here, head on to My Skin Check website (created by La Roche-Posay) to learn about sun protection and more.

2 comments:

  1. I suffer from acne scarring *sigh* and have been looking for a product to help lighten them. I will definitely be checking out the serum! :)

    Thanks for sharing, I too with La Roche-Posay had more presence in the blogosphere. To satisfy my curiosity (if nothing else)! ;)

    xx Veronica

    http://frowardfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete